Emily Carr 411: Where to find the best place for a nap, cheap lunch and more

An Emily Carr Insider’s perspective on campus life

Emily Carr 411

Unofficial school motto: 

‘Onwards and upwards!’

Best place for a nap: 

The sleeping room in the North Building

Version 2

Best cheap lunch: 

La Taqueria

Best hangover breakfast: 

Eggs benny at Yolks

Favourite watering hole: 

BierCraft or Chill Winston when you want to be fancy

Perks of living in this town: 

Vibrant art scene and  good transit

Best place to study: 

Emily Carr’s library or  Sutcliffe Park

Weirdest tradition: 

Leprechaun bingo

Best campus event: 

Coffee Night and the Student Art Sale

Best giveaway: 

The pancake breakfast or the grilled cheese event

Best live music venue: 

Guilt & Co. in Gastown

University Insider: Rebecca Ramsey, 23, Visual Arts

The campus of Emily Carr University of Art + Design looks out over False Creek, an inlet where colourful houseboats are neatly docked below the boardwalk. Situated on Granville Island, the school is surrounded by an abundance of boutiques, artist studios and, of course, the Granville Island Market. In 2017, the school will be moving from this idyllic location to a new home further east in the False Creek Flats area. While this new site isn’t quite as charming, it is closer to the SkyTrain’s Millennium Line and just a short walk from the bustle of Main Street.

READ: Emily Carr University of Art + Design | Vancouver, B.C. | Founded 1925

As one of the top art and design academies in North America, Emily Carr is more than just a school. It has just 2,000 or so students, and the intimate class sizes are ideal for discussion and sharing ideas. For most of its undergraduate degrees, 70 per cent of class time is spent in the studio, while the other 30 per cent goes to academic pursuits. Although it can be difficult to sit through lectures when you are eager to be in the studio, the theory-based classes present students with the tools and writing skills to contextualize their emerging art practices.

Besides being surrounded by other creative individuals, the best thing about attending Emily Carr is the many facilities for creating. The studios are kept impeccably tidy and there are a number of workshops where you can find a lab technician to guide you through the process of anything from mixing glazes to building a canvas. There are also a variety of spaces to exhibit work, including the Concourse Gallery, the library and the READ bookstore.


The semesters are crammed with activity, and you will be hard–pressed to find anyone twiddling their thumbs in the halls. Aside from the numerous clubs, which range from Rain City Illustration to Ping–Pong, the school also offers complimentary life drawings classes and yoga once a week. The Student Union hosts a range of social events throughout the year, including a massive clothing swap. There is also a variety of artist talks held throughout the semester and a year-end Christmas sale for student artwork. Students in third year have the option of going abroad for a semester. This is a great excuse to take an educational holiday while being exposed to a different learning climate.

Local Vibe

With its oceanic climate and panoramic mountain views, Vancouver has often been rated among the top cities to live in. Winters are mild, and in spring the city erupts in billowy curtains of soft, pink cherry blossoms. With its many urban gardens, farmers’ markets and bikeways, Vancouver has a green mentality. There is an abundance of quirky cafés, shops and little galleries to explore, in addition to plenty of thrift stores, where you can pick out your new art- school wardrobe. If you are feeling overwhelmed by the hustle and bustle of city- life, opt for a hike up Grouse Mountain or a walk in the University of British Columbia’s endowment lands.

The Skinny

To find out what’s going on in the city, check out

Looking for more?

Get the Best of Maclean's sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for news, commentary and analysis.