10 things we learned this weekend about 42-year-old Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney’s vice-presidential pick:
- He was first elected to congress at the age of 28, way back in 1998.
- He hunts deer with a bow and arrow. Then he makes his own sausages.
- Ryan’s true love is budget-cutting. His plan calls for large reductions in benefits from medicare, the American healthcare benefit for seniors. Ryan is not so interested in reducing America’s defence spending.
- He sleeps in his office during his four-day workweek in Washington, D.C. He maintains his real home in Janesville, Wisconsin, with his wife and three kids.
- He is a faithful adherent to the grueling P90x workout videos, which likely gives him the best abs of anyone ever named on a presidential ticket.
- He opposes the recognition of same-sex marriage, but in 2007 supported a law that would prohibit employment discrimination based on sexual orientation.
- He once supported the lifting of the trade embargo to Cuba: “If we’re going to have free trade with China, why not Cuba?” he said in 2008. He has since changed his tune.
- His father died at aged 16. This was a turning point for young Ryan, who became rather more serious and industrious.
- He has for many years led attempts to privatize portions of social security, America’s pension plan for most workers.
- He has great hair, potentially making the Romney-Ryan pair the best haired presidential pair of all time.
FILED UNDER: U.S. politics