‘Be amazing.’ Bomb survivor posts Facebook update from home

Winnipeg lawyer who lost a hand when a package exploded in her office plans to return to work

WINNIPEG — A Winnipeg lawyer who lost a hand when a package exploded in her office says she is home and healing.

Maria Mitousis has posted a statement on Facebook saying she has suffered physically and emotionally, but will heal and eventually go back to work.

She says she plans to keep updating people on her recovery.

She also thanks her family and colleagues and says her belief in the inherent goodness of people has not been shaken.

Mitousis, 38, was injured two weeks ago and police later detonated two other bombs also discovered in mailed packages.

Police have charged an ex-husband of one of her clients with several offences, including attempted murder.

They allege Guido Amsel, 49, was targeting his ex-wife and the lawyers who were involved in a lengthy legal dispute between them. He’s accused of putting explosive compound in digital voice recorders and mailing them to different locations.

“This terrible thing that has happened has not dampened my spirits,” said Mitousis.

“If nothing else, this experience has reinforced my practice of gratitude and I just have so much to be grateful for.”

She says she has received well wishes and donations from strangers and can’t thank everyone enough.

Police earlier confirmed she lost her right hand in the blast and suffered other injuries to her left hand, face, chest and thighs. She posted a photo of her bandaged hand on a pillow a friend gave her in the hospital. It reads “be amazing.”

“The message is clear: We all have the opportunity to be amazing to each other so let’s keep doing that.”

Mitousis says her cat Figaro hasn’t left her side since she has been home.

“I think he is guarding me … I am truly surrounded by love.”

Meanwhile, the union representing postal workers in the city says it has found out Canada Post won’t be paying employees who refused to work during the recent mail bombing threats.

David Lambert of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers says employees who felt unsafe and didn’t work their shift were initially told they would still be paid but the union says it recently found out that’s not the case.

Lambert says as many as 100 employees refused to work their shift after suspicious packages were found.


Looking for more?

Get the Best of Maclean's sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for news, commentary and analysis.