Autopsy: Michael Brown had close range gunshot wound to the hand

Experts say Brown was shot during struggle with Ferguson police officer who fatally shot him

ST. LOUIS – Michael Brown’s official autopsy shows the 18-year-old was shot in the hand at close range during a struggle with the Ferguson police officer who fatally shot him, two experts said in a published report Wednesday.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch obtained the St. Louis County medical examiner’s autopsy and an accompanying toxicology report that shows Brown had used marijuana.

The newspaper reported that St. Louis medical examiner Dr. Michael Graham and another pathologist not involved in the investigation reviewed the report and said it indicates a wound to Brown’s hand came at close range.

Brown and officer Darren Wilson struggled inside Wilson’s sports utility vehicle on Aug. 9 and Brown was shot once in the hand. Brown was killed outside the vehicle.

Graham told the Post-Dispatch that the autopsy report “does support that there was a significant altercation at the car.”

Brown family attorney Benjamin Crump told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the autopsy offers no insight into why Wilson killed Brown.

The newspaper posted a copy of the autopsy and toxicology report on its website. Medical examiner’s office administrator Suzanne McCune confirmed the posted information was accurate but said her office won’t officially release the documents until the investigation is complete. The newspaper did not say where it obtained the documents.

Wilson remains on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation into the shooting that has sparked sometimes violent protests in Ferguson. On Tuesday, Gov. Jay Nixon appointed a special commission to look at how the region can move forward after the concerns raised by the shooting and its aftermath.

Wilson confronted Brown and Dorian Johnson as they walked back to Brown’s home from a convenience store. After the shooting, Brown died at the scene. Some witnesses have told authorities and news media that Brown had his hands raised when Wilson approached with his weapon and fired repeatedly.

Wilson’s attorney, James P. Towey, did not return messages seeking comment Wednesday.

Looking for more?

Get the Best of Maclean's sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for news, commentary and analysis.